Why Egg Yolks are Important for our Health

Popular around the world, eggs are an important part of so many recipes and daily meals. Eggs as a whole offer many health benefits, with the whites and the yolks providing different vitamins and minerals.  Many people, however, have begun to believe that egg yolks are unhealthy and have preferred to eat only the whites of eggs. This is an unfortunate misassumption, as the yolks of eggs contain many of the nutrients and vitamins that make eggs so beneficial for our health.

Studies have found that the protein of an egg is distributed evenly through the yolk and whites, but that most of the nutrients can be found in the egg yolks. Here is a short summary of why egg yolks are important for our health. 

Vitamin E

Antioxidants are important for health, and vitamin E is an antioxidant that contributes to the prevention of chronic diseases. Vitamin E can help prevent issues such as cardiovascular disease and some cancers, due to its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Vitamin E is found primarily within the yolks of eggs. 

Hens’ eggs are packed with Carotenoids

Eggs yolks are a natural source of carotenoids, while the exact amount will differ based on the type of feed given to the laying hen. Lutein and zeaxanthin are two of the important carotenoids found in eggs, and they work to support good eye health. These two carotenoids can help prevent degenerative eye disorders such as macular degeneration.  

Vitamin D

Vitamin D is an important vitamin for the proper absorption of calcium, and the prevention of several health conditions. Egg yolks are a good source of vitamin D and two eggs can reportedly contain up to 80% of the RDA for vitamin D. 

Keep your immune system working

Contemporary studies have explored the effect of egg yolks and eggs on our immune systems. Research has found that egg yolks can potentially boost and support our immune systems. Within the membranes of egg yolks, one finds compounds known as sulphated glycopeptides. These sulphated glycopeptides stimulate the production of cells within the immune system that protects the body against infections and disease. 

The mineral content is found within the yolks

While it is true that both egg whites and egg yolks contain minerals, egg yolks contain a larger percentage of these minerals. Only about 10% of an egg’s calcium is in the whites, with the remaining 90% found in the yolk of the egg. For the iron content, about 93% is found in the yolks. 

Source of Choline

Choline is an important nutrient that is beneficial for memory, nervous system health, mental function and more. Choline is required for normal bodily functioning and overall health.  The majority of the choline content found in eggs is in the yolks.


1st Gold Farm
Pietersburg North

015 225 8000